Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Raining Confetti

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Seitan Wellington- vegan


Hooray to the Spork Girls for another fabulous recipe!! I made this the other night using one portobello,  a mixture of other wild mushrooms- I think it was some Oyster, crimini, button, and some type of Japanese mushroom.  The taste was amazing, the smell so homey and comforting.  I've never made a Wellington before and had been wanting to try one since I saw Jamie Oliver make a Turkey Wellington. So I was eager to try this one.  Instead of the fresh herbs I used dried and I used Cupcake's Red Velvet for the wine.  
Enjoy!

The Recipe:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mushroom Filling:

1 T non-dairy butter
1 T olive oil
4 C crimini mushrooms, finely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped (I didn't add this part and felt it tasted great)
3 sprigs fresh thyme or about 2 t dried or more to your liking)
2 T vegan red wine
1/4 t sea salt
1/4 pepper
2T flour


In a large pan, heat butter and olive oil (I added the thyme to this to flavor the oil). Add mushrooms, shallots, and garlic. Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add thyme or other herbs- I added oregano and some marjoram, wine, salt, pepper and flour.  Cook until liquid is absorbed about another 3-5 minutes.  Set aside.

The Seitan Filling:

2 Packages "chicken style" seitan
4 sprigs thyme, stemmed and chopped
2 T mustard (I used the gingerbread mustard)
2 T red wine
1 T maple syrup
3/4 C flour, plus more for dusting
grated lemon zest (I left this out as I didn't have one)
1/2 t paprika
1/2 t salt
1/4 pepper

1 package puff pastry

In a food processor, combine seitan, thyme, mustard, wine, maple syrup, flour, lemon zest, paprika, salt, and pepper.  Pulse until uniform about 20 times. (Doesn't look appetizing but trust me, it tastes great!)
On a lightly floured surface (I used some parchment paper but still sprinkle with flour) roll the puff pastry out to about 1/8 inch.  Place mushroom filling in center and spread out, leaving a 1-2 inch pastry border.  Top mushroom filling with seitan filling and fold party over, sealing edges.



Make a few slits in the top and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...